Sunday, November 19, 2006

Brew Day

Brewed up a batch of beer today. I am aiming for a hoppy foreign extra stout - the starting gravity was 1.068 (yes, I finally bought a thief to check my gravity), which should give me an ABV of about 6.7% and the IBUs calculated out to be about 67. Hops were Northern Brewer/Bullion for bittering (why these two? Because the recipe I used as a starting point called for them), and Cascades for aroma/flavor. I'm probably going to dry hop with Cascades as well - but not the crappy locally grown Cascades I tried a few months ago. I'll let you know how it turns out, although chances are if you are reading this, you'll get a chance to try it.

If the weather turns cold, I think my next beer will be my first lager. My basement is usually about 55 degrees in the winter, which is just about perfect for fermenting a lager. I still haven't decided what kind of lager though - maybe a bock or a Schwarzbier. But I'm open to suggestions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was the recipe?

Technically, my very-chewy stout was supposed to be a 1.068 FES...

Dan said...

Steeped:
.75# Roasted Barley
.5# Crystal 120
.25# Chocolate

Boil (in 2 gallons):
7.6# dark malt extract (1# dry, 6.6# liquid)

1.75 oz Bullion 60 min
1.5 oz Northern Brewer 60 min
1.5 oz Cascade 15 min
1.5 oz Cascade 15 min

I'll dry hop with 1 oz Cascade too.

I'm hoping I get good attenuation, I'm using Wyest 1056.