Friday, November 10, 2006

Albums of the year...so far...

Here are my picks for albums of the year, so far, from someone who hasn't heard that much new music this year:

  • Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass: by far the best album title of the year, and damn good music as well. You know a band is pretty confident when the first song on their album ("Pass the hatchet, I think I'm goodkind" - another great title) is a 10 minute long jam with minimal lyrics. You can download the whole song here, if you like.
  • The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America: not quite as strong as their previous effort, Separation Sunday, but still a great album. Bonus points for the Kerouac inspired title. Check out a live version of Stuck Between Stations, the first song on the album.
  • Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit: the first half of this album is really great, it sags a bit in the middle, but thats a minor quibble. Here is a great video for "White Collar Boy."
  • Honorable Mentions: The Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics; Pavement - Wowee Zowee: Sordid Sentinels Edition (reissue, so it kinda doesn't count); Bruce Springsteen We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions; Neko Case Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

I'm actually kind of disappointed in myself for not checking out more music this year. There are a lot of albums that have come out that I've been meaning to get (Sonic Youth, The Decemberists, Willie Nelson w/ Ryan Adams, others), but I just haven't had a lot of time to wander around the record store. If any of you have any suggestions, let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this time of year. I always wait until the end of December to buy music, that way only get the good stuff. Plus, the only time I can afford to buy music is when I get gift certificates for Christmas. So, thanks for the tips Dan.