Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Bonjour!

Well, I successfully made it to Paris. I'm getting settled in and trying to learn French as fast as I can so I don't starve. I was able to get my first dinner all by myself yesterday. Here it is:

my first dinner in Paris...

The wine in the picture was less than 2 euros, and is as good as anything I have had in the US under $20. The baguette was amazing, still warm when I bought it and maybe the best bread I have ever tasted. The cheese was dirt cheap supermarket cheese, and damn good, but I found a fromagerie today that surely has even better cheese.

Funniest sight so far: when I turned on the TV in my apartment, the first thing that came on was Beverly Hills 90210. In French.

Tomorrow I get to work. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Lolly said...

I am jealous of your dinner, Dan! You might want to pick up some French words for veggies or you may come home with scurvy...

Good luck at work tomorrow. Those French mice won't know what hit them (though they will probably give you a haughty sneer before you kill them).

Jake said...

I wonder how many times you'll think, "This is the best bread I've ever tasted!" while you're over there. Here's hoping this is the first of many...

Kara said...

Hi Dan!!! I have one question, did you drink the whole bottle of wine? When Carin and I were in france we had some ugly mornings after drinking those $2 bottles of wine! Enjoy your work but remember to take time to enjoy Paris as well. And if anyone gives you shit, I learned at club med how to say Get Away From Me. It is something like:(phontenically) Dey Gash. xoxo,
Kara

Dan said...

Lolly,

I did buy some blood orange juice and some yogurt at the supermarket, so I shouldn't get scurvy.

Kara,

I did NOT drink the whole bottle...I didn't want to spend my first day in the lab with a raging hangover.