Saturday, February 17, 2007

Presidents' or President's or Presidents Day

I was reading the New Yorker this week and I came across an amazing article. I turns out that there is no Federal law declaring Monday to be Presidents' day. The law still on the books refers to it as Washington's Birthday. Presidents' day started when some advertiser called it that, and found that sales were better than when they called it Washington's Birthday, maybe because it was easier to say.

This article from the same issue, about the conservative creator of 24 and how the show is causing young recruits in the military to think that torture works great, was a pretty good read too. Although I'm still going to watch 24 since I don't see myself in the position to torture anyone soon. Those of you who love 24 like me but also find it to be ridiculous at times should check out Dave Barry's 24 blog. His live-blogs of the episodes have me laughing out loud.

No comments: