Monday, February 20, 2006

Olympics

I guess I'm the only one in the world enjoying the Winter Olympics. All I hear is that ratings are down and everyone is complaining about Bode Miller not living up to the hype. For the ratings, well, it's hard to get psyched up for a broadcast where the results are readily available on the net the moment they happen. I've tried hard to avoid them, but it's pretty much impossible. What really bugs me is that even when NBC has a chance to show something live on a weekend afternoon, they tape delay it anyway. Gotta get that Daytona 500 in! Call me crazy, but I'd rather watch Curling than NASCAR.

As for Bode, I think the problem is people don't know that Bode last year was the best skier in the world, and the best US skier in a long time, maybe ever. So the first they ever hear of him is on 60 minutes saying some crazy stuff and then they see him on every magazine cover and they decide right up front they don't like him. Eric Wilbur, who blogs for NESN, had a great post up about this very subject. Oh well, I guess I'm just a Bode apologist.

5 comments:

Jake said...

I'll be waiting for Dan's top ten reasons that curling is better than NASCAR.

Adam said...

Come on Dan, I know you're dying to put a Dale Earnhardt NASCAR decal on your car.

Dan said...

Nah, I want a Calvin pissing on Jeff Gordon.

Dan said...

Here is the number one reason Curling is better than NASCAR.

Not safe for work.

Jake said...

Nice.