Friday, August 05, 2005

Finally! (What follows is probably the nerdiest post to this blog ever)

I have been plagued for literally years by a problem I've had with Microsoft Excel - how to change a vertical column of data into a horizontal row one without cutting and pasting each cell one at a time. A Google search today gave me the answer, found at a bulletin board on the PC World New Zealand website: paste special, values, with the transpose checkbox selected. I love Google.

(If anyone cares to know why I want to change my data in this way, it is so it will fit into the data sheet in my statistical software so I can make a pretty looking scatter plot, which are a pain in Excel because points with the same value fall on top of one another.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes!! i know exactly the problem you speak of - excel can't do scatterplots correctly! thank you!

Adam said...

Too bad you didn't ask me first :-)