Wednesday, March 16, 2005

So I'm assuming you all use iTunes to organize your music. How do you rate songs? Here's my strategy, but I'd love to hear yours.


  • 1 star: Novelty or just plain bad songs that I have in my library for fun. Examples: Me So Horny, Take On Me, Unskinny Bop
  • 2 stars: Funny songs or cheesy songs that have a little bit of quality. Examples: Cracklin' Rosie, Lee, Ode to My Car, Yoda, Gin and Juice
  • 3 stars: My least favorite songs by good bands, and my best "gimmick" songs. Examples: Good Day Sunshine, Dancing in the Dark, Kielbasa, Baby Got Back
  • 4 stars: My biggest category. Good to great songs by good bands. Too many songs to give even a representative sample.
  • 5 stars: Songs that everyone thinks are all-time classics (Like a Rolling Stone, I Can See for Miles, A Day in the Life, Thunder Road, Sweet Jane) and songs that I think are all-time classics (YEM, Sabotage, Remember the Mountain Bed, Where It's At, Type Slowly)

I'm pretty satisfied with this system, but I wonder if I don't have a little bit of grade inflation going on. Anyone else have stricter criteria? Next time on Dan's iTunes organization: cutting down on superfluous genres.

3 comments:

Jake said...

Gin and Juice doesn't fall under "songs that everyone thinks are all-time classics"? I think your system needs work. ;)

Dan said...

Yeah, it should at least fall under best "gimmick" songs. Oh well, it's a fluid process. I still have over 800 songs to rate.

Adam said...

iTunes?
That must be a mac thing :p