Sunday, February 27, 2005

Recommended:
Movie: The Station Agent. It stars Peter Dinklage, who you may remember as the dwarf author from Elf who beats the shit out of Will Ferrell. It was just an excellent little (really, no pun intended!) movie, the kind that isn't really going to change your life or anything, but an extremely pleasent way to spend an hour and a half.
Beer: McNeill's Scotch Ale. Ann and I picked this up on our way to NYC last weekend, and we just got around to drinking it. A delicious Scotch Ale, slightly smokey, malty, but very smooth. None of the cloying sweetness that you sometimes get in a Scotch ale.
Music: Brad Mehldau Largo. Yes, yet another white jazz keyboardist that plays cool cover songs in the proud tradition of Medeski and the Bad Plus. But his version of "Paranoid Android" kicks ass.
Essay: It isn't in the online version, but Jonathan Lethem's (author of Fortress of Solitude which you need to read if you haven't) essay "The Beards" in this week's New Yorker is amazing. The way he describes the relationship of the teenage male and his music (and to a lesser extent, books and movies) is exactly the way I felt, and the way I would write it if I had a modicum of talent. If anyone out there wants me to save the issue for them, let me know in the comments.

3 comments:

Jake said...

a) Down with cloying sweetness!
b) Paranoid Android? Did you finally listen to some Radiohead?
c) Please save issue. I loves me some Jonathan Lethem. (J.L. has a nice conversation with Paul Auster in this month's The Believer, which I bet you can find in Hanover.)

Dan said...

b) ummm... I've had OK Computer for like a year now. I know I'm lame, but not that lame. I even copied Hail to the Thief from someone this fall.

Jake said...

The Lethem article was very good. Thanks for saving it for me. I could especially relate to his desire to have an album cover for a head so that people would better understand who he really was. I wanted a Phish tape for a head for a number of years.