Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Last night Ann and I went out to see The Bad Plus at the Regattabar. They are a pretty kick-ass piano trio that has been getting a lot of press lately - mostly for the fact that they play some unconventional covers. Last night's encore was Iron Man by Black Sabbath, and it was excellent. I've never heard anyone bang on a piano that hard and I believe the drummer was certifiably insane - he was smacking the cymbals with his bare hands.

What I was wondering the entire time I was listening was "where were these critics when MMW was playing 'Crosstown Traffic' in 1995?" Besides that minor quibble, the show was great, and I definitely recommend catching these guys if you can. I picked up their first album at the show, and it is well worth it. I love buying CDs at shows - usually they are cheap, I don't have to pay sales tax, and I think that more of the proceeds find their way to the artists. Enough rambling for now...

No comments: