Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I passed!

I passed my Qualifying Exam!

For those of you who don't know, the qualifier (at Dartmouth) is a 10 page written proposal and an oral exam in which three professors grill you for 3 hours until you feel like you have been hit by a truck. It was pretty much the most miserable experience of my life, but I survived.

I am celebrating by drinking a Thomas Hooker Imperial Porter (yes, that's my review at the top), which is a delicious 7.8% ABV porter that comes in a 1 liter bottle. And that won't be the last beer I have tonight.

Now I can await the birth of baby Morrill with no worries!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our oral exam involves a 50 page paper and a 3 hour grilling. Although perhaps I'm luckier as sometimes it's easier to write 50 pages rather than condense it into 10! Before we get to that stage though we have to take a 2 day written exam and write an NIH grant in 17 days without telling anyone what you're writing about. It's a very weird process I hear, I'm putting it all off for as long as possible!

Congrats!! I do wish I was in your spot and knew I had at least some hurdles behind me.