Monday, September 30, 2002

Ann and I went to see Medeski Martin and Wood at the Orpheum Friday night. They are probably the most consistantly spectacular band playing today. Their sound has changed a lot over the years - I'm listening to their first album as I write this (which was all acoustic) and it's hard to believe that they are the same band we just saw, with 7 keyboards, 3 bass guitars and a nearly infinite amount of percussion. Watching them play really gives me chills - it's like watching Jackson Pollock paint - controlled chaos.

Of course, the night wouldn't have been complete without a bunch of drunk idiots screaming at the top of their lungs and attempting to clap to the beat - this was especially welcome during the acuostic encore. We even saw a girl doing some liquid acid in the aisle next to us. I guess great music can't remain a secret forever. Maybe I'm just getting old and ornery.

No comments: